================================================================ USBBS127.LST News A List of PC Bulletin Boards for DOS Users December 1994 Editor: Bob Breedlove ---------------------------------------------------------------- Home BBS: BOBsBBS 916-929-7511 (Messages to SYSOP) bobsbbs!system@sactoh0.sac.ca.us or bob@sactoh0.sac.ca.us ================================================================ E-MAIL UPDATES The USBBS List now accepts updates by Internet mail. Here is the ONLY way that these updates will be accepted: 1. Download USBUP100.ZIP from BOBsBBS (916-929-7511) or via anonymous FTP from oak.oakland.edu:/pub/msdos/bbslist. 2. Use USBBSUP.EXE to create USBBS.DAT. 3. E-mail USBBS.DAT to bobsbbs!update@sactoh0.sac.ca.us or upload the file to BOBsBBS using the special update feature in the (O)ther BBS (P)hone list, USBBS (U)pdate feature. Please note, mail updates other than those created by USBBSUP.EXE will be ignored. Thank you for your cooperation. ---------------------------------------------------------------- EASIER UPDATES AT BOBsBBS It is now quicker to update your BBS information at BOBsBBS (916-929-7511). Simply log on with the ID "USBBS UPDATE" (no password). This will take you directly to the USBBS update script and log you off after updating your information. ---------------------------------------------------------------- BOB BLACHER'S COMPUTER CONNECTIONS IS BACK 407-451-9364 FL Boca Raton Robert Blacher B 29D 126* CompConnx 6/2 Computer Connections is back ! Bob's board will continue to carry the USBBS list. Bob has long been a long-time friend and supporter of USBBS, first as the sole update point and then as a distribution point for the list. ---------------------------------------------------------------- NEW BBS DESIGNATIONS I have started changing some of the older BBS designations: I = TriBBS If you have additional suggestions, please let me know. ---------------------------------------------------------------- USBBS AVAILABLE ON THE INTERNET USBBS is available over the Internet. You can get the entire list or request area codes or state selections to customize a list. The paragraphs below explain how. The Whole List via USENET It is posted to "alt.bbs.lists" at the same time it is distributed to the update points. The USBBS###.LST file is posted in multiple pieces. The entire archive file is not posted because of the difficulty some people have with uuencoded files. The archive is available via FTP from oak.oakland.edu. It is posted there shortly after the weekend distribution and will be available sometime during the next week. Request /pub/msdos/bbslist/usbbs###.zip (where "###" is the edition number). Customized List BOBsBBS now supports a "customized list server" which is available via e-mail. This server will prepare a customized list for you of selected area codes and/or states. Send an e-mail request to: bobsbbs!usbbs@sactoh0.sac.ca.us In the body of the request, the server recognizes the following commands: AC You may include a maximum of 5 of these area code commands. example: AC 916 ST <2 character state abbreviation> You may request a maximum of 2 states. Use the two character state abbreviation. You may also enter FGN for foreign or UNK for unknown areas. Canadian boards use the two character abbreviation for the province. example: ST CA REPLY Include this command to be sure that the server can return the mail to you. The "from:" field in messages is often not accurate. example: REPLY bobsbbs!usbbs@sactoh0.sac.ca.us HOW-TO Request the how-to get USBBS text file which accompanies the list. NEWS Request the USBBS news file. HELP Send current information on the mail server. QUIT The list command in the message. All other commands/lines in the message are ignored. NOTE: This server collects mail about once per day. Please be patient. In most cases your request will be returned to you within 24-72 hours. You can NOT request the entire list through this mechanism, please do not ask. This is a service in testing and MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE AT ALL TIMES. ---------------------------------------------------------------- USBBS DOWNLOADS AT BOBSBBS BOBsBBS supports a set of special ID's which are for downloading the USBBS list ONLY. Here they are: ID PROTOCOL USBBS ZMODEM Zmodem USBBS YMODEM Ymodem USBBS XMODEM Xmodem-Checksum USBBS CRC Xmodem-CRC USBBS Xmodem1k Xmodem-1K These ID's have no passwords and go through a special script which starts the download immediately after logon. To help you automate your downloads, here are the phrases to wait for and the responses to enter: WAIT FOR ENTER Graphics LAST name {id};; Protocol starts immediately start protocol download Wait approximately 1 second after detecting each phrase. Notice that there is a set of two semi-colons (";;") after the {id}. This by-passes the password prompt. You MUST enter this or you will get the "PASSWORD" prompt. For example, you would enter "USBBS ZMODEM;;" in response to the "LAST name" prompt. The connection is terminated immediately after the download is completed. ---------------------------------------------------------------- SOME THOUGHTS FOR THE FUTURE The following are some thoughts about the USBBS National BBS list. It has been around for a long time in about the same format. But the BBSing and communications worlds are changing rapidly and the list must keep up with those changes. As always your comments are appreciated. Send them to BOBsBBS 916-929-7511 or contact me on the internet at "bobsbbs!system@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US" Expiration of BBS's on USBBS One of the major problems I have with the list is finding out when boards go out of existence. They do this quite often and without notice. I have been toying with the idea of expiring BBS entries if they are more than ONE YEAR old. What do you think? The Annotated USBBS List (I'm getting closer to producing this list. The key is to make sure that it can be produced without too much work on my part!) I get a number of requests for boards with a specific focus or specific features. Sysops are asked to leave this information when they update their board information on the list. Unfortunately, this information is not available on the standard USBBS list. Therefore, I propose an "annotated" BBS list as an addition to the standard list. This list would be in the following format: nnn-nnn-nnnn xx xxxxxxxxx . . . <-The standard USBBS list line FOCUS: ffffffffffff . . . <-The board's focus (60 chars) cccccccccccc . . . <-Comment (60 chars) cccccccccccc . . . <-Comment (60 chars) The annotated list would be distributed in a separate archive (USBANxxx) on the same schedule as the USBBS list. "xxx" would reflect the same version number as the standard list. The following conditions would have to be met by the updaters in order to remain on the annotated list: ú Qualify for the standard USBBS list ú Update information at least once every 90 days by calling BOBsBBS (916-929-7511). This will assure that the information entered will be correct and compelte. ---------------------------------------------------------------- RELEASE SCHEDULE This is a release schedule for USBBS for the next several months. Unless there is some reason to do so, the list is released on the last weekend of the month unless the first of the month is on a weekend. All revisions for the list should be in by the Wednesday before the release date to help assure that I get them. PLEASE NOTE: Because I do this for free, I reserve the right to change this schedule without notice. Notices about distribution are posted on BOBsBBS (916-929-7511). Sorry for any inconvenience this causes. SYSOPS, please note: I sometimes have difficulty reaching the remote update points before the release date. If the board is down or constantly busy, I may not be able to collect the information before the update for that month. Call BOBsBBS (916-929-7511) to be assured that your update will be considered for the next edition of the list. Edition Weekend Notes 128 1/1/95 Christmas Weekend 129 1/28/95 130 2/25/95 131 3/25/95 132 4/29/95 ---------------------------------------------------------------- FILES IN ARCHIVE USBBSxxx.LST The USBBS National BBS list itself. USBBSxxx.TXT Information about distribution and update points for the USBBS list. This file is always included with the list. USBBSxxx.NWS News about the USBBS list. This file is only included when there is news to pass on about the list. FILE_ID.DIZ An extended description for the USBBS list archive. Always included.